Monday, May 3, 2010

Reading about the Pacific Theatre of Operations



Been on kind of a PTO kick these past weeks. I think it started with HBO's The Pacific (sequel to Band of Brothers). Though I haven't seen any episodes in full I've seen a few clips and I'm dying to see it out on Blu-Ray or DVD by Christmas -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed. [In a somewhat related note, the gentleman who wrote Band of Brothers, Stephen Ambrose, has had his number called up here recently. Disturbing if true.]

Other than GMT's top flight Combat Commander: Pacific, I haven't gamed the tactical level of the PTO much -- not even Memoir '44 Pacific! So, thanks to Chas Argent's recent update on the Code of Ho reprint (click here) and the buzz on The Pacific I've been diving into two books:

With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge

and

Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie

And yes, they were downloaded onto my wife's Kindle in about 13 seconds. Cool.

Just wanted to throw those titles out there and whet the whistle for the PTO pack for ASL. I hope it comes soon!

No comments: